What is the J-1 visa?

This visa category covers those coming to the U.S. as a student, researcher, professor, nonacademic specialist, physician, international visitor, camp counselor, au pair, or summer student in a travel/work program. In some cases those who have been admitted in the J-1 visa category become subject to a two-year foreign residency requirement before they may change to another nonimmigrant visa category.