What if Form I-539?

The purpose of Form I-539 is for nonimmigrants to request extension of stays from their current status or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another (B-1 visitor to H-1B, for example). Form I-539 should be filed at least 45 days before the expiration of the current authorized stay.