What if Form I-539?

The purpose of Form I-539 is for nonimmigrants to request extension of stays from their current status or changes from one nonimmigrant category to another (B-1 visitor to H-1B, for example). Form I-539 should be filed at least 45 days before the expiration of the current authorized stay.

What is the K Visa?

The K visa category is for fiancés of U.S. citizens who are entering for the purpose of getting married within 90 days of their admission into the U.S.

What is the J-1 visa?

This visa category covers those coming to the U.S. as a student, researcher, professor, nonacademic specialist, physician, international visitor, camp counselor, au pair, or summer student in a travel/work program. In some cases those who have been admitted in the J-1 visa category become subject to a two-year foreign residency requirement before they may change to another nonimmigrant visa category.

What is the F-1 visa?

This visa category is for students coming to engage in academic study in a full-time program at an approved institution. The institution at which the student is admitted issues SEVIS Form I-20 which the student presents to the Consular officer upon arrival. In some cases, the student is permitted to engage in part-time employment during the course of study.

What is the visa waiver program?

Nationals of specified countries can travel to the U.S. under a blanket “visa waiver pilot program” without first having to apply for a visa. The travelers must, however, have a valid passport that is machine-readable with biometric identifiers. The visa waiver visitor is still subject to inspection upon arrival in the U.S. and a decision on admissibility is made at that time. Persons admitted under the visa waiver program may not remain longer than 90 days.

How do I qualify for a treaty investor (E-2) visa?

You must intend to come to the United States solely for the purpose of directing the operations of an enterprise in which you have invested – or are actively in the process of investing – a substantial amount of capital.

How can I transfer my employment from a foreign company to its subsidiary in the U.S.?

You can do so by filing an L-1 visa petition with the USCIS. You must have worked for the foreign employer continuously for one out of the last three years as a business executive or manager.

What am I allowed to do with a B-1 visitor’s visa?

The B-1 visa is appropriate for those coming to the U.S. to engage in temporary, business-related activities such as attending conferences, consultations and conventions. The individual may not engage in local employment for hire.

What is H-1B status?

The H-1B visa is intended for those individuals who are members of a specialty occupation. Such occupations are, for example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, accounting, law, the arts and business specialties.